Friday, September 21, 2007

Where's Waldo?

Although I am planning to attend Bells on Bloor on Sunday, my mind has not been on cycling, the environment, George Bush, or blogging very much recently. In fact, as far as cycling goes, my butt hasn't been on my bike for maybe two weeks now.

My contract at the university in Oshawa finished at the end of the first week of September, and I am no longer the lonely cyclist pedalling his way through Whitby/Oshawa each day. Thank god, actually. I got so tired fighting that battle. Durham Region (for american readers, durham is the sprawl of suburbia to the east of Toronto, including the cities of Pickering, Ajax, whitby, oshawa) is a lost cause as far as I'm concerned. durham is exactly the type of region that HAS to switch to public transit and cycling RIGHT NOW to help save the planet, but the political will doesn't exist out there, and I'm pretty sure that in 2025 when peak oil has hit and all the polar bears are dead someone on the oshawa city council will say "hey, let's hold a referendum about building a bike lane downtown, and maybe start work in 2030 on it."



Anyway - my job in Oshawa finished, I spent about a week in Bancroft with my parents, hiking through the forest every day, seeing lots of deer, doing some writing (I'm a hack novelist), canoeing with my dad and that kind of thing. And then, just as I was starting to enjoy being unemployed, I was offered a new job.

And I'm MOVING - at long last (I'm a smalltown boy at heart) I'm LEAVING TORONTO.



I'm going to see if you guys can figure out where I'm moving to. All these pictures were taken yesterday in my soon-to-be new home. I'll give you a few hints - the city is in Ontario, within three hours drive of Toronto, and an established university is setting up a satellite campus in the town I'm moving to, ergo a job opening up there for me.



So, I don't know when I'll get back to blogging regularly again. I'm fairly stressed right now about finding a place to live etc. Once I do relocate though I'm excited about being the annoying guy at town council meetings standing up and saying "what about bike infrastructure?" every five seconds. Luckily my new town does have a fairly good cycling culture, at least on a recreational, if not a commuting, level.

Anyway dudes - leave a comment with your guess about where I'm moving to, and I hope you're all getting lots of miles under your wheels in the nice late summer weather we're having. ciao.

P.S - Floyd has been officially declared guilty.

7 comments:

Anthony M. Humphreys said...

The pics look an awful lot like Orillia, but I didn't think that it had a unversity....

FixedXorBroken said...

Well, all your pics say Orillia. Otherwise, I would not have known.

If you can keep it up, I'd appreciate the odd blog post. :)

Veg*Triathlete said...

Congratulations on the new job, Tuco! And as far as bike infrastructure goes... Give 'em hell!

selsine said...

Get outta town! (literally) That's crazy Chris, congrats on the new job, way to break up the bookclub!

Heh, this part: "Durham Region (for american readers, durham is the sprawl of suburbia to the east of Toronto, including the cities of Pickering, Ajax, whitby, oshawa)" should actually have said for readers outside of Ontario, since I don't think many Canadians outside of Ontario would have much of any idea what the Durham region is (I know i didn't).

Heh, I also like fixedorbroken's comment, using the name Orillia in the photos doesn't make for much of a contest!

Anyways good luck!

Timon said...

Congratulations! I was going to guess Midland or something like that - the map looks like the south end of Georgian Bay. Then I saw Couchiching Park in the background of the Terry Fox circle. and fixedxorbroken is right, the photo files do say Orillia, ergo...

Ira F. Stone said...

Sorry, not being Canadian I can't begin to guess your new location, but best of luck and I hope you get back to your blog soon as I enjoy reading it.

Tuco said...

You guys are too sharp for me - it never crossed my mind that people would mouse over the photos and notice what the image file names were!
: 0