Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Orillia Team Tri wrap-up

On Sunday, my brother (in the middle), my partner Anna and I did the team relay at the Orillia triathlon. I biked, my brother ran, and Anna swam, and we came in 9th out of 21 teams.

As I mentioned below, on Saturday my Trek road bike, which I haven't ridden much this summer, was shifting terribly. The front derailleur was throwing the chain over the big ring onto the crank arm every time I tried shifting from the small to the big ring. A choice I considered for a while was shifting my road wheels onto my Jamis cross-bike. This ended however when I picked up the cross-bike right after picking up the Trek, and noticed the 6 pound difference between the two bikes. So, I said "screw it" and decided just to ride the whole race in the big chain ring.

This obviously isn't ideal, but it all turned out fine actually. I did a bunch of training rides on the race route prior to the race, and knew exactly how all the hills worked (and how all the downhills worked, i.e. where I had no business being below 50km/hr). So in the three spots on the route where it would have been nice to have the small ring, I just got out of the saddle and hammered the best I could, and in the end I did the 33km in 1:01:07 - coming in fifth out of the 21 cyclists in the team tri. My brother came in fifth out of the 21 runners, so we put on a pretty good show.

PS - Anna got called in as the swimmer only a week or two prior to the race, when my friend Duncan messed up his leg. Thanks for being brave and doing the swim for us Anna!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Congrats! You guys did a great job!wvevzuqg