Friday, August 15, 2008

Orillia Triathlon & Tuco's bike collection


Although I can't claim to have ever been a "racer", from 2003 to 2005 I did lots of running races and several duathlons. Since moving to Orillia - where I walk most places and haven't been road riding much - I've completely fallen out of cycling shape. Not letting that deter me, I'm doing the cycling portion of a team tri this weekend - the annual Northern (Orillia) Triathlon.

Now, coincidentally, way before I moved to Orillia, I did the duathlon here twice, in 2003 and 2004, coming about middle of the pack in my age group both times, and doing the 33km bike portion in about 1:05 each time. Ironically, in 2003/04, when I was probably in the best shape I'll ever be in, I was riding the worst road bike I'll probably ever own. I mean, it was my first road bike and it did what entry level bikes are supposed to do (ie addict you to the sport) but it was a heavy chromo frame with low level Shimano Sora and whatever type of wheelset you get with a $500.00 bike.

I'll always wish that I had the Cervelo Soloist that I owned for a while in 2006/2007 when I was racing in 2003/2004, just to see what a difference the (much!) better bike would have made in my placings.
Anyway - here is what I'm hoping: that the new(ish) Trek (pictured above) and my local knowledge of the bike route, and the fact that the bike portion is all I have to do, will balance out my much better 2003/04 fitness level, and let me come close to the 1:05 mark again. Fingers and toes crossed.

So the last time I did a bike roundup, was in April 2007. In that picture we see my girlfriends' Giant and KHS, and my Kona Hahanna, Kona Dew Deluxe, Cervelo Soloist, and almost invisible, my Cannondale road bike.
In August 2008 we now have Anna's KHS, and a Specialized CrossTrail (bought to ride the rail trails here in Simcoe County). She still owns the Giant, but it is a terrible bike, more or less on permanent loan to a friend in Toronto.

My collection is almost completely different. The only two bikes which remain are the Kona Hahanna and the Cannondale, but both were reinvented and now live very happily as freewheel singlespeeds. I sold the Cervelo and I gave the Hahanna to my brother.

Added since April 2007 is my Jamis Nova cross bike, my Trek (which is actually a bit too big for me and I need to get a smaller stem when I have money again), and the Raleigh that my dad bought for $50.00 at a garage sale, and which I've had fun riding around town on a few times. The bike dangling badly from the wall is my brother's Norco mountain bike, which is falling apart, and which I'm planning to turn into a single-speed, but as mentioned I have no money so it'll have to wait for a while.
Additionally, I have the Fleetwing that Geoffrey gave me. I keep it in Bancroft though, to ride when I visit my parents.

1 comment:

AMIE said...

nice collection! Looks lot like mine. My boyfriend is always telling me I don't need another bike I have several. Somehow we now have 6..I don't even know how that happens! They just accumulate cause I just gotta have it when I find them. Fun blog!