Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Black sheep of the family

At the bottom of the post below, I more or less promised to shoot a series of videos about converting your bike to a single speed. I really wasn't happy about the quality of video I was putting up though (shot in hi-definition, I was converting the file a million times to get it uploaded onto youtube). I was also getting impatient and wanted to finish the job, so the series has had to be postponed.

bike1

You can click on any of these photos to go over to Flickr and see bigger images. It's amazing how much cleaner bikes look when you take more and more parts off them.

drivetrain

The drivetrain (44 x 16) involved a new bottom bracket, cranks that I got off a friend in a trade, spacers, cog and chain tensioner from a nashbar single speed kit, a chainring from the local bike shop, and single speed chainring bolts. I also put on new brakes, and if you look closely you'll notice a wheelset (mavic rim with deore hubs) that is probably worth more than this whole bike was when it was bought. You really can't beat good wheels though - upgrading wheels makes you suddenly feel like Hushovd.

bike_refuse

And strangely, an immensely satisfying part of the conversion process is looking down at the bucket of junk that you took off your bike. If you put it all in a plastic bag and lift it up, you get a sense of how heavy all that crap was, and what a weight it was on your bike.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I know I've said this before, but: Vimeo HD!

http://vimeo.com/hd

alaska_babe107 said...

Hi! I just read your comment about my comment on your picture of Diamond Lake. I couldn't find it the exact post, but I remember commenting on it because I used to visit Diamond Lake every year as a child (a family friend owns a cottage there) and the last time I've been was about 3 years ago. I really love it there and can't wait to go back! It's such a beautiful city.

Two Dishes said...

when I finally rode a one speed, I was really surprised how little I missed the extra sprockets. In Brooklyn , though, the coolness of the look is a liability, i.e. I fear it getting stolen... A bottom of the line Trek with all bad components has proved pretty theft proof so far, even locked overnight. Oh well.