Saturday, September 10, 2016

How to warp your rear wheel


Well, this is a brand new one for me.

On Friday morning, I left for my nice, mostly scenic, "long" ride to work. I was intending to take it fairly casual, but when I made the left turn shown below, I was coming down a bit of a descent, and had a good bit of speed flowing through my wheels when I hit the gravel.



I ride very heavily loaded... my panniers always crazy heavy, and I never really know how my daily gear always seems to load me down so much.

So... left turn, with too much speed, heavily loaded - AND - just as my front tire was about to enter the gravel, I kind of righted myself on the bike, worried about hitting the gravel at too much of an angle and falling down.

I think, effectively, the "righting" of the bike was similar to putting the wheel in a vice and pushing hard on the top of the wheel, warping it.

I knew immediately something was wrong - but at first just hoped it was the fender or the rack. BUT.. it was the wheel itself rubbing against the chainstays.

Turned around, pedalled home... the smell of heated rubber (the tire rubbing on the chainstay) in the air... threw my panniers onto my other commuter and zoomed to work the "short" way.

My Friday morning commute!



video



No comments: