Friday, June 01, 2007

And so it was I entered the broken world

I love the splash page of fearlessgearless. Before you click on the tank, make three guesses about where the link will send you.
becel_7
I didn't do the Ride for the Heart this past weekend. I've done it several times now, but this year I wasn't all that bothered for some reason. Plus, as I was riding my Kona singlespeed to work last week, it struck me that I didn't actually possess a bike that could handle the hilly ride up the Don Valley Parkway. This due to the dumb crash I had on the Cannondale a few weeks ago.
becel_2
But, annalise and I did walk over to a bridge and took some photos of the riders passing below us.
becel_4

I had a frustrating weekend with the Cannondale. The crash warped my derailleur, but even worse it cracked and bent my aluminum and non-replaceable derailleur hanger. I was trying to bend the hanger out and away from the casette when it snapped off entirely. So in my grand plan of turning the bike into a singlespeed, I don't have the chain tensioner option.
cannon_1
I also don't want to buy one of those White Industry hubs (and pay someone to build a wheel around it for me) to get the chain tension right, AND, although a half-link would appear to make my life easier, I've read some negative things about half-links and am worried I'll get stuck in the middle of Whitby with a broken chain if I try to use one.
cannon_2
On Sunday my friend Duncan and I played around with different combinations of chainrings and cogs trying to find a match which would give good chain tension, but nothing worked. Tonight I'm going back to Urbane and hope that they'll let me return the 44 tooth ring I bought for a 42 and I'll try the combinations again with that.

P.S. - for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm thinking about doing a quick "singlespeed for dummies like me" post soon to show a) why singlespeed is so awesome and b) how hard it is mechanically to achieve.

3 comments:

Smudgemo said...

Hey Tuco,

I've seen where people take a ring of some size and place it in the chain to take up slack. See #8 here: http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml#ssConversionsHowTo.

Have you tried to get Cannondale to replace the frame? They gave me a new fork when the dropouts on mine became loose. Not saying this is their issue, but maybe they would have pity on you and their non-replaceable hanger design and discount a frame. Of course you'd have to be the original owner.

Timon said...

looking forward to reading the post on singlespeed. To be honest, I really can't understand why anyone would want to do without a choice of gears, so you're explanation will be appreciated.

Tuco said...

Smudge - I saw that guy who had stuck a big cog in his chain to take up the slack. I have to admit that I'm dubious about that. Maybe I should test it for fun though.

As far as the Cannondale goes, not only am I not the original owner, but neither was the friend I bought it off. The thing dates from the early 90's I think, and I don't even know what model it is.