Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!

Wow - oil closed at a record $88.00 a barrel today. If you adjust for inflation etc, oil was still more expensive back in the 70's, but it definitely makes you think about peak oil and how screwed we're going to be when the oil runs out (unless you live in Cuba, which is apparently a post peak-oil economy already).

Ahh peak oil - fewer cars and more bicycles. I realize there will also be potentially catastrophic consequences of peak oil hitting as hard as it could, but being a cyclist I tend to just concentrate on the ribbons of empty highways and how much fun it'll be cycling along them.

On a somewhat similar topic, I took the Eco Footprint quiz today. You can see my results here below. I guess that's what being a near vegan and a cyclist/pedestrian will do for you.



I'm getting used to life in Orillia, and since I only have a 20 minute walk to work I'm actually not biking much here, just walking everywhere. I hope to do a bigger update on life up here in Simcoe County, but it'll have to wait until I get my hands on my girlfriends' digital camera again.

Hope everyone is doing well!

4 comments:

Smudgemo said...

Wouldn't it be ironic if Cuba became a studied example of how to exist w/o oil just because of a stupid policy decades past its relevancy?

Jess said...

I took the quiz, and it turned out that if everyone lived like me we'd need 2.2 planets. I guess that's better than the average American, but between driving and not buying much local foods I can do better.

Nice job on needing only 1 planet!

Smudgemo said...

Darn, I'm at 2.7 planets. Guess I've got some work to do unless we burn coal to explore for the additional planets we need...

emma said...

Wow! I am at 2.2 planets, although I am a vegan. Need to work on eating more local and get someone to live with me :)