Sunday, December 02, 2007

Courage of the early morning basement cyclist


As soon as Annalise and I started telling people that we were moving to Orillia, we began hearing horror stories about how much snow Orillia gets in the winter. As I'm originally from Bancroft, Ontario, which is probably a little farther north than Orillia, I thought "How bad can it be?" Well, it's only December 2nd and we've already had enough snow fall that I could barely open my front door in the morning.
All of Ontario has gotten a lot of snow the last few days, and I was listening to the guy on CBC talk about doing 30km/hour on the 401 this morning, and still ending up sliding into a 360 degree turn, but up here all the snow is fun. It reminds me of being a kid and going over to the baseball diamond, climbing up to the top of the bleachers, and jumping off into snowbanks. Bancroft hasn't had snow like that in years.

I'm not biking at all these days - walking to work only takes me 20 minutes, so that's what I do. I'm riding my Jamis on my trainer most mornings, thinking I should look into building/buying a bike generator, so that all this energy I'm expending would go into something useful, like charging a cell phone or a laptop battery. If you google "bicycle generator" you will find tons of help pages for building one of these things, but it's all a bit over my head.

P.S. I don't have one of those sweat guards that you can buy for your bike, so i just drape an old dress shirt over the handlebars and the headset to soak up my perspiration.

P.P.S. - If you haven't seen HBO's The Girl in the Cafe, get your hands on it - it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

1 comment:

Veg*Triathlete said...

Your Jamis bike sure is handsome!!!

I've been walking a lot more now, too, now that it's colder & we've got ice & snow on the ground.