Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Another form of active transportation

I don't really remember how it came up, but I was talking to a co-worker and I started saying "You know, I've owned...." and then I had to pause, trying to remember how many bikes I've owned since I became a full on bike commuter back in about 2001.
The answer, including two bikes which were given to me, is nine (a bunch of them are pictured in this post). I've given a couple away, and sold a couple, and I currently own four bikes (only one of which has gears, the others are singlespeeds).

Now I remember how it came up, I've been helping another co-worker research bikes because she is going to buy this spring, and I was telling the first co-worker that I was living vicariously through Jennelle (who is bike shopping) because spring for me means coming down with bike lust, and I currently have no business whatsoever spending any money on bikes.
Now, if I DID have a spare $1000 bucks for a bike, I think I'd have to find a shop that could sell me a Felt F85. I came across this bike in the current Bicycling buyer's guide, and I cannot believe how much bike this is for about $1100 bucks. It's a sub 20 pound bike, with carbon fork and seatpost, and a mix of Ultegra and 105!!! components! I mean, holy crap - that is such a bargain it's almost worth giving up food for to be able to afford.

At my last job, in Oshawa, I did what many of us do, and I brought my bike into my office for safety. come to think of it, I commuted to that job on 5 different bikes over the course of just over a year. Life in Orillia is a little bit different however. The snow just doesn't stop falling in Orillia, and here, you park your snowshoes in your office after your morning commute.

2 comments:

Veg*Triathlete said...

Hmm... I might be able to get $1100 for my car... which I could use for that bike... Stop fueling my bike lust! I've been toying with the idea of selling my car. I barely ever use it. But it is nice to have for those occasions, so I imagine I'll hang on to it. It's nice to think about the bikes I could have instead, though, and that Felt is a steal.

geoffrey said...

http://www.ridetommasini.com/indexnew.html