Wednesday, April 04, 2007

What we ride & who we are

So I'm anticipating some changes occurring in my life this summer (the likelihood that I'll be moving out of Toronto for a new job is very high), and I guess the idea of "change" has made me very reflective lately.

What happens when a cyclist gets reflective?

I used to own a mess of bikes like this:
bikes1
Two of those are my girlfriends', but still that was four for me (my Cannondale is almost completely hidden in the back left of this picture). This picture was true of our holdings up until basically two weeks ago.

But, although I once did duathlons fairly seriously and could claim to actually NEED my 2004 Cervelo Team Soloist, I don't quite feel that way anymore. The Soloist is the kind of bike you need to WIN bike races. I'm certainly not going to win any races from here on out, and therefore my Cannondale (see below) will serve me just fine for racing and long rides, so I just sold my Cervelo to a former student of mine from my Donning days at New College at U of T.
(Although you can kind of see it in the above picture, a better picture of the Cervelo is way back in my very first "tuco rides" post).

And if you notice the blue bike at the very front of the above picture, that is the Kona Dew Deluxe which I bought in the fall to survive winter commuting this year. The Dew Deluxe is fine and dandy, but tomorrow I'm taking it to Peterborough to give to my little brother to get him kick-started as a bicycle commuter.

So as of tomorrow I'll have cut my bike collection in half.

These are the bikes I still have:
The hard-working Cannondale that I bought off one of my best friends (yes, those are downtube shifters).
bike_whitby

The 2001 Kona Hahanna which must have upwards of 15 000km on it. The Kona is currently at the above-mentioned best friend's house awaiting to be turned into a single-speed with a brand new back wheel, new saddle, new drive train bits, and eventually completely new brakes.
kona

To answer my own question, I guess when a cyclist gets reflective he takes a hard look at the bikes he owns and asks himself that toughest of all questions - "Which of these do I need, and which do I just want?"

For me, getting rid of the Cervelo (a decision I'd been waffling over for at least a year) means that I'm no longer serious about racing (and I was always a better runner than a cyclist anyway), and therefore need good commuting bikes more than good racing bikes.

The Dew Deluxe wasn't such a tough decision. I didn't love it. My brother needed it. Although it has fenders and a rack, I can get by with my other two bikes, and so it's gone.

The lucky thing in getting rid of bikes is that you have room to buy a new bike. I foresee one of these in my future, although perhaps not this summer.

This is a Kona Major Jake - Kona's top cyclocross bike. It's around $2300.00 Canadian but it has great components, wheels, carbon fork and seat-stays and a light-weight aluminum cross frame. Basically this could be my all-round bike (long day rides, races, all-season commuting) and I'd have the other two for random sub-in duty.

If you can know a man by the company he keeps, you'll know a cyclist by the bikes that he rides.

4 comments:

Vic said...

This is what happened when I got all reflective on my bike.

Tuco said...

Vic!! Is that paint or just a gazillion glow-in-the-dark stickers?

When I was commuting this winter on the Dew Deluxe I stickered it up pretty good, nothing like the bike in your picture though.

Eric said...

The problem with having too many bikes is that on some mornings, I can't decide on which one to ride!

Eclectchick said...

My Cervelo Soloist Team is my darling. I have never regretted her for a moment.

You neeeeeed one. :-)