Monday, April 30, 2007

the kona and the khs go daytripping

Although I live right in downtown Toronto, I rarely feel like I live in Toronto anymore. First thing every morning I haul ass (via bike & Go Train) out to my job in Oshawa. I get back into the city around 6:30pm and generally head straight home and flake out fairly quickly.

Annalise and I both took the day off today, and luckily we got beautiful weather for it. We rode our bikes around town, and coming along Bloor we passed by the Royal Ontario Museum at Bloor Street & University Avenue. The museum has been undergoing a major transformation recently, with the addition of the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal on the north end.

Here are a couple shots from the east, and don't forget that you can click on any of these to enlarge them.:
fromeast
In this one I even got lucky and fit in a bike courier.
fromeast2

And here are a couple from the west:
fromwest3

The museum was designed by Daniel Libeskind incidentally.
fromwest1
So it is funny how a city grows when you're not paying attention. Before today, if I'd been asked to provide a description of the ROM construction, I'd have said "picture a bunch of steel girders stuck together at weird, random angles". Obviously though, things have been developing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I like this crystal thingamajiggy, but at least it doesn't look like a bunch of steel glued together anymore.
fromwest2

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Its very interesting architecture, I think. Here in Nashville, I didn't even know we were getting a symphony until one day I was driving downtown and I was like, Where did this beautiful building come from?!?!?