Friday, January 26, 2007

Death in Whitby

Ever thought about how you would prefer the moment of your death to happen? Would you want to go like Butch and Sundance - into that hail of Bolivian bullets? Or like Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy, your body just giving out in a long slow sigh?
I guess what you want is dignity. The Romans and I guess most warrior civilizations wrote of a "glorious" death, but death with dignity is probably the more appropriate goal in this day and age.

Dying in Whitby wouldn't be very dignified. Especially if death came in the form of a pudgy hoser driving a GM truck drinking a tim horton's coffee. Hmmm... pudgy hoser or grim reaper, pudgy hoser or grim reaper... yeah, give me the grim reaper anyday.

Thinking that dying on my bike in Whitby would be the worst way I could possibly leave this life, I've given up biking for the Durham part of my commute. I'm now biking through Toronto to the Go Station, leaving the bike locked at the station, riding the train to Ajax, and getting picked up - in a car - to be driven to work.
Although I would much rather be telling you that I was on public transit instead of in a car, I don't feel too bad about this. The co-worker I'm riding with drives everyday from right beside the Ajax Go Station to the university anyway, so I'm just hitching onto a car trip that was already being made.
And Whitby, and the Durham region in general, are not fun places for bikers in the winter. There are no bike lanes anywhere in this place, and they seem to let snow/ice encroach quite a bit into the right hand lanes, so it was often at the point where I needed 1/3 to 1/2 of the lane and that just doesn't fly in Durham (the home of GM and pudgy hosers in track pants drinking coffee while they steer).
I figured disgression was the better part of valour and that I needed to get off the bike this winter - ergo the carpooling.

I don't have much other news actually. My job has been busy as hell and I don't have much relaxation time these days. I haven't even been thinking of the petition at all.

I hope all of you are doing well, and I look forward to mid February when the petition starts getting wrapped up and we hand stuff over to Olivia Chow. Hopefully I'll be able to blog and surf YOUR blogs again in the near future.

And this is just a P.S. - if you've seen March of the Penguins you'll find this really funny. It's a commercial for the French version of the movie, which, because they're actually emperor penguins, was titled "March of the Emperor."

5 comments:

Melissa said...

a question of curiosity and a subject of great interest, do you have any tattoos?

cyclingdave said...

now that i think of it given the number of double double swilling, suv encapsuled hosers, pulling out of tims and carenning down the road and the number of commuters on cyclists the odds look pretty stacked that the grim repear may actually be driving a lincoln annhialator.

Snakebite said...

How come you never post a pic of your toque?

Tuco said...

This was a post of interesting comments:
Snakebite - I have no pictures of my toque, but ironically one of the happiest moments of late December was when I realized that I could wear one of my toques on top of my balaclava and still get my helmet on my head.
Dave - Death does drive an SUV. On many levels.
Melissa - getting a tattoo has been on my "to do" list for a while now. I was reading about Roman virtues once and thought it'd be cool to get three Latin words tattooed on my arm:
Gravitas - seriousness of purpose
Dignitas - Sense of self-worth
Pietas - Duty to family

Eclecta said...

Hey there,

My friend Lynn sent me a link to your blog last summer and I'm only checking it out now. LOL I used to live in Whitby, and whole-heartedly agree with you that cycling there is hardly safe. I used to bike down Thickson from Dundas to the lake until I had one scare too many. Those suburban drivers!!! I think they're offended by a bike on the road ... LOL