Friday, February 23, 2007

Cela est bien dit, repondit Candide, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin

At my book club last night, we got talking about Myers Brigg personality types. I thought I'd do an online test and see what my type was, and chose this site simply because it was the first one in my google search. God knows if this is at all close to a real Myers Brigg test.

So - the result is that I'm an ISTJ - with a HEAVY emphasis on the I and the J.
ISTJ stands for Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging

Here are some ideas about what I'm supposed to be like:

ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ.

As do other Introverted Thinkers, ISTJs often give the initial impression of being aloof and perhaps somewhat cold. Effusive expression of emotional warmth is not something that ISTJs do without considerable energy loss.

ISTJs are most at home with "just the facts, Ma'am." They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach. Once a new procedure has proven itself (i.e., has been shown "to work,") the ISTJ can be depended upon to carry it through, even at the expense of their own health.

ISTJs are easily frustrated by the inconsistencies of others, especially when the second parties don't keep their commitments. But they usually keep their feelings to themselves unless they are asked. And when asked, they don't mince words. Truth wins out over tact. The grim determination of the ISTJ vindicates itself in officiation of sports events, judiciary functions, or an other situation which requires making tough calls and sticking to them.

Eeyore is one of the most famous "fictional" ISTJs.

P.S. Subject Line = "That is well said," replied Candide, "but we must cultivate our garden."

3 comments:

Melissa said...

and I have some pretty interesting dreams too. lol

Laura said...

Hey, I'm ISTJ, too! (Though I'm not sure I relate to it all that well.) I'm strong on the last two; thinking and judging. Not sure how much I'm the "introvert", though, hmm...

You'd be impressed, Chris; we took our grade sevens on a field trip today. We went to see the Beach Solar Laundromat and the wind turbine -- we're doing an integrated unit with them on climate change. Fun stuff!

Oh, and I TOTALLY think you should go for the summer Russia ride! Very cool!

Karen Stilwell said...

INTJ for me. Somewhere described as a "mastermind" ... heheheh

-Karen