Friday, December 05, 2008

Turn it into a sexy dance

More so than hell, I think the road to winter fitness is paved with good intentions. Though it has since fallen apart, I had a good start to my quest to get into shape this winter - allowing me to be a hill-climbing machine right out of the gate this spring.
trek_trainer
I set my Trek up on my trainer, down in my basement, and with IPOD in my ears I felt fairly energized, and seemed, for about two weeks, not to be succumbing to that "holy crap, training in the basement is damned boring and depressing" bug that is associated with this type of training.

At the same time, and this is a project I'll be working on all winter, as money is saved to buy new parts, I've been working on my brother's old beater mountain bike.
norco_onstand
When I picked it up, the chain and gears were rusted enough that they weren't even moving anymore. A firm believer in the theory that everyone needs a bare-bones, maintenance free, single-speed commuter, I'm turning the bike into a single-speed, as I've done with a few bikes before. I'm going to be a complete idiot actually, and put some very good (entry level race for example) wheels onto the bike. I can't wait to give it back to my brother and let him feel what a difference it makes to strip crap parts off of a frame, and replace them with good parts.

house_tree
Anyway, the single-speed project will keep going on, but I don't see how I'm going to get the training in. My town of Orillia has already had several snowstorms, and (see picture below) I have the longest driveway in the world, plus a few other walkways to shovel. I have never been able to train in the evening, but every morning these days my training time is over-ruled by having to get out and get shovelling.

long_driveway
It's kind of ironic, because my wife and I rarely drive. I'm a bit too green to give up and buy a snowblower, so it's a shovelling life for me. Come summer, rather than great legs and great cardio ability, I'll have a bad back, good abs, and strong shovelling arms.

I really wanted to, but I don't really "get" HBO's Flight of the Conchords. I do however really like this song and performance. That's why they call it business socks!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Your house is gorgeous! I love it. Great photo of it too. :)

Jen said...

And "turn it into a sexy dance" is definitely the best line of that video, too!