Thursday, June 29, 2006

Toronto attacks my sleep & a HUGE Peak Oil Event

Here's why I didn't ride on Thursday morning:
In order to do this ride I have to get up fairly darn early (I don't want to really say HOW early because it's kind of sad). So getting up early obviously requires a good night's sleep.
Wednesday night around 11:30 The City of Toronto decided to park a chipper in front of my apartment, and then start chainsawing one of the trees in front of the building. So I listened to them chainsaw tree branches and then run them through the chipper for a while, and then fell asleep again.
Around 2:00am our family of raccoons came back. They knocked one of Annalise's gardening pots off our wooden shelving unit on the patio, and I had to go get my water bottle and do a little raccoon hunting through the screen. Anna, if you're reading this out in B.C., well, they got the carrots honeybunch.
And THEN around 4:00 maybe I hear gunshots and police sirens!!
From the Toronto Star:

A man who opened fire on police and paramedics early this morning remains on the loose, police said.
They are looking for a man, about 5-foot-7 and 160 pounds with a dark complexion and a beard. He was wearing black clothing and is armed the dangerous.
Police responded to reports of a shooting at about 4:30 a.m. and found a man with gunshot wounds. He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
As police approached a male suspect fired several shots at the officers and paramedics. An EMS SUV was hit by two bullets, but no one was injured.
The man then fled the scene.


So... next to no sleep means no pedaling for me.

P.S. The world's second biggest oilfield has peaked.
Second in size only to Saudi Arabia's Ghawar field, Mexico's Cantarell field peaked at 2.13 million barrels of oil per day in 2004, and is projected to provide only 1.43 million barrels per day by 2008.
See story on:

Myrtle Beach Online
, and if that link dies, google "Mexican oilfield crucial to U.S. facing decline" by Kevin G. Hall of Knight Ridder Newspapers.

It still astounds me that there's no discussion of this topic in the mainstream media.

2 comments:

Karen Stilwell said...

I read that same article online. I remember thinking -- gee, that's close to where I used to live. I forgot how close it is to your new (to me) place. (In my head, you stil live in High Park...)Has the increased violence in TO affected your feelings for the city much?

So, I did the math -- depending on how much getting ready you have to do in the morning, and assuming you have to arrive at work by 8am, you're up at 4:30-5am?

Claire said...

God, what a horrible night!! Crazyness...

I seem to remember reading something about how to get rid of racoons...like spraying something on your plants or putting something on the ground near your plants...something non-toxic but repulsive to racoons. But can't remember what! If I do recall what the hell I'm thinking about, I'll let you know!