Friday, August 04, 2006

(little Rumsfeld) but more Bancroft

Iraq on brink of civil war, U.S. general tells Senate - Toronto Star, Aug. 4, A12.

Rumsfeld responds to polls showing that Americans want troops to pull out of Iraq by saying: "Americans didn't cross oceans and settle a wilderness and build history's greatest democracy only to run away from a bunch of murderers and extremists."

Does he have any idea how much ridicule he could get for that? (Native Indian issues, democracy?, bunch of murderers?? - look at American complicity in Cambodia, East Timor, and everywhere else you doofus).

Regarding the slide into civil war, generals Peter Pace & John Abizaid say "The responsibility for avoiding civil war rests with the Iraqis themselves, not U.S. troops."

That's also quite nice. We'll give you a civil war, it's up to you to get out of it. Reminds one of the first Gulf War, when Bush the First begged various small rebel groups in Iraq to rise up against Saddam, and then abandoned them to get massacred by Saddam once the U.s. decided to end the war.

But I don't want Rumsfeld and American Republican politics to be the last thing I say on this Canadian long weekend. My girlfriend, sister and I are heading up north to my hometown tonight for the August long weekend. Here's where I'm from.

bancroft

And I want to be nice and cite this photo of Bancroft, Ontario properly - taken by John Andrasz, and it can be found in the Canada Photo Gallery.

3 comments:

Dorothy W. said...

That's beautiful! Enjoy!!

Adam said...

Hey Tuco! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I didn't think anyone would bother with my fairly boring training diary except me. I'm a long time rider, but fairly new to commuting. Really loved it so far with the exception of the mechanical problems that have happened as a result of a little more bike abuse. I upgraded my wheels, so hopefully that will help a bit.

As far as your entry: I'm glad you said Republican politics, because we definitely don't all agree with Rumsfeld and the stance that the administration is taking on Iraq or foreign policy in general.

Looks like a beautiful place, hope you have a great weekend!

alaska_babe107 said...

It's beautiful, is it anywhere near Diamond Lake? :)