Saturday, December 16, 2006

a citizen for boysenberry jam fan

The cycling petition is still going strong, sign up and tell all your friends.

One of the gentlemen at Bike to the Future in Winnipeg sent me the Amsterdam Declaration which I'd actually never heard of before.

We, the participants at the World Cycle Conference VĂ©lo Mondial 2000, assembled in Amsterdam in June 2000, proclaim that people (including children) should have the right to use bicycles when they want to. We declare that the use of bicycles requires greater acceptance and promotion by all relevant organisations and governments world-wide and call for action.

Right on.

Canada - at least Toronto and Durham where I do my cycling - sucks because girls here don't bike in large groups like these girls below do in Malaysia, Amsterdam and Firenze. Maybe this fight to promote cycling will take us places we never even dreamed!



I need to pay more attention to the awesome (biking Toronto) groups in (bike Toronto) Toronto that are (take the tooker) doing really (cycling cog) great things for (tcat) cyclists, and that I haven’t (Toronto cycling committee) mentioned, mainly because (CBN) I’m a moron.

I need to open my eyes more often.



I've been doing more reading and still fail to see why raising gasoline taxes won't a) ease the transition into peak oil b) raise money that can be funneled to alternative transportation c) wean people from a dependance upon fossil fuels which is destroying the earth.
Heck, Europe, the U.K. and Japan tax gasoline at double (and more!) the levels we do in North America, and they're surviving. They have highway tolls in most of those places as well.


And here's a random one which is open for criticism - if the Highway Traffic Act (in Ontario), says that I belong on the road, and most municipal bylaws will fine me for being on the sidewalk, why don't I have the right to feel as safe on my bike on the road, as motorists do?

Doesn't the fact that many people shun cycling because they don't think it's safe, mean that the streets and highways have been built in a way that discriminates against any non-automobile traffic?

Should we be able to sue municipal and provincial governments for discriminating against us?

And finally... because the environmental news just keeps getting better, we in the west should start preparing for millions of environmental refugees to start leaving their homes because of droughts and desertification caused by climate change.

The number of people fleeing the spread of deserts or climate-change impacts such as drought and flooding is likely to hit 50 million within a decade and soar to between 135 million and 200 million by 2050, (said) Zafar Adeel, a director of the United Nations University.

Yes, Mr. Corcoran, the status quo IS working, everything will be fine. Let's not try to curb consumption or anything.

2 comments:

mytzpyk said...

In my city (like many others) the law says bicycles have all the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles.

In my city (like many others) we have traffic lights that operate only when an automobile is stopped on the sensor.

I would very much like to test my argument in court that these sensor signals are against my rights as a vehicle on the road.

My strategy to get into this position is mostly passive. I am looking for an opportunity to cross against a red light in the presence of a law officer.

Tex69 said...

I want to agree and be heartened by your cause, but instead I can't stop looking at the last pic. Cycling indeed!