Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Brakeman on a hurtlin' fever train

It was pretty cold and windy this morning, doing the 30km round trip out to Hawkestone and back in time for work. Here are a couple photos from the morning ride:
bikenorthclose

On Sunday I rode my Trek on the country roads to the west of Orillia... the Bass Lake Side Road and various Lines (Line 8, 14, 15/16 etc). I love the fact that every direction I go when I leave Orillia, I'm cycling through rolling farmland. It's really pretty gorgeous. The only annoying thing is that, since I don't know the area very well yet, I keep going along nice country roads and all of a sudden hitting gravel where the road is no longer paved. I dinged up the underside of my downtube on Sunday having gravel pinging off the tube. So, I'm off to the drugstore today to pick up some nailpolish to seal the chipped paint.

hawkestone_sign

And here are some stories that can maybe make you believe that we're getting serious about the problems we've created:
The LCBO (chain of wine / liquor stores run by the provincial government) is going to stop offering plastic bags.

London, Ontario, is considering serious restrictions, and possibly an outright ban, on new drive-throughs. Of course, Tim Hortons, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and A&W were on hand to fight this effort, which basically puts them pro-asthma and air pollution, and anti-clean air (although McDonald's has done some good things, fast food in general has enough of a moral problem due to factory farming. Do they really want to be on the wrong side of the idling issue the way the big three were on the wrong side of the air pollution issue for decades?)
This is happening at the same time as highschool students in London set up a protest at a Tim Horton's asking people to stop the unnecessary idling that happens in drive-throughs.

And this one isn't really about climate change, but as a cyclist who's worried about the motorists around me not really paying attention to what they're doing, I'm pretty happy with Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty considering a ban on cellphone use while driving.


farm1

No comments: