Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Bike Messengers are on crack

I figured it was about time I put this up. I've recommended it to a few other bloggers but don't think I ever posted it on my site. It's 7:00 minutes long, has a fairly nice background song, and shows NYC messengers weaving amazingly through traffic and pedestrians in the city. They're definitely crazy, but man, there's a lot of grace involved as well.



I was fairly proud of myself last night. I had planned to stay late at work and catch a much later train, but about 15 minutes after 4:30 (which is my normal leave time to catch the 5:27 train in Whitby) I thought "ah hell, I've worked on this stuff enough" and I decided to just get going and see if I could make the 5:47 train.
I start actually pedalling around 4:50 and the thought gets into my head "I should hammer and see if there's any chance I can catch the 5:27." So I do hammer, even into a headwind, I catch a few lucky breaks with stoplights etc and generally good traffic, and I'm eventually standing on the train platform at 5:24 with a few minutes to spare.
That was fun - it was a gorgeously warm October day (as compared to the pouring rain I cycled into this morning) and I felt like the Red Baron or somebody zooming through Whitby. AND - I caught my normal train and got home on time.

7 comments:

cyclingdave said...

go baron go! thanks for the video.

Timon said...

that video was pretty damn incredible. I assume the camera was attached to that guy's head, so he basically never checks his blind spot(s) the whole time he's riding. That's crazy. I hope he had mirrors (but I doubt it)

timon said...

Any idea what the song is called, who it's by?

Tuco said...

apparently it's
Bandwitch by Broken Social Scene
- according to some commenter on YOU Tube.

Jeff said...

It looks like a Lucas Brunelle video. He was intervied in Dirt Rag about a year back...

timon said...

It is a Lucas Brunelle video. It has his name at the end credits, though the discussion at YouTube seems to think there are copyright issues. It seems Brunelle didn't post it himself on the site. I did a google on him and had a look at some of his videos. I'm looking forward to the one with him on the Great Wall of China.

Thanks again for linking it, Tuco.

One thing I found interesting about the discussion on YouTube regarding this film is that many cyclists seem to think that because they create less /no pollution they are allowed to ride recklessly and endanger other people's (pedestrians' and other cyclists') lives. It's pretty disturbing. I agree that it's wonderful to get around the city without polluting the atmosphere and I think cyclists should be proud of that and should derive some benefits because of it; nevertheless, it's senseless to ride like that.

Alberto said...

Interesting and disappointing. I hope the rest of us don't get confused with that bunch of irresponsible daredevils.