Friday, October 27, 2006

Nail guns, cows, and sundown

I have been meaning to do some research and do up a big vegetarian posting for my friend Mark, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it. I didn't go veggie for any one particular reason, but more because all the various reasons added together seemed kind of overwhelming to me. Without even touching on animal rights/cruelty, or the meat industry's effects on the environment, there's always just the health concerns.
I just came across a mention of a documentary called Frankensteer. I don't know if I'll ever get my hands on it, maybe Queen Video would have it, but it looks great.
cows
Frankensteer is a disturbing documentary that reveals how the ordinary cow has been turned into an antibiotic-dependent, hormone-laced potential carrier of toxic bacteria, all in the name of cheaper food.
Every year, 50 per cent of the total tonnage of antibiotics used in Canada ends up in livestock. And every year cattle raised in massive feedlots are routinely dosed with antibiotics even if they are not sick. For public health safety reasons during the current BSE (Mad Cow) crisis, North American health officials have labeled certain parts of the cow as bio-hazardous products and have ordered that they be handled accordingly.



This is pretty much the worst story I've come across in a long time.
A roofer in Austria, a 59 year old guy, was working on a roof, slipped, and pulled the trigger on the nail gun he was holding.
Unfortunately:

  • The four inch nail went through one of his testicles.

  • The four inch nail went through his testicle, and into the roof, fastening "it" and the roofer (his name is August Voegl) to the building.


The story I read didn't say - and I probably don't want to know - how they got the nail OUT of Mr. Voegl. I hope to God they put him to sleep first.

I thought I was pretty up on all the environmental challenges facing us, but I have to admit I had never heard of global dimming until today. Apparently air pollution is shielding sunlight from reaching the earth, so the earth is getting darker. Scientists don't yet really seem to understand what this means, but the main fear is that plants won't get the sunlight they need to grow, and without plants and food etc and photosynthesis and CO2 being turned into oxygen... well, once again, we're screwed.

No comments: