Thursday, August 16, 2007

Long lost art of placing foot in mouth


I'd actually forgotten that I'd corresponded with Momentum Magazine out in B.C., and that they would have an article on the petition coming out soon. Thanks to Herb over at I Bike T.O. for reminding me about it.
The (now finished) cycling petition generated a few news stories, and I've read them all with a lot of trepidation, because I tend to shoot my mouth off more than I would usually like when I talk about cycling. I think I did that again in this interview, but hopefully any harsh comments will be forgiven.

Sounding like a moron in public got me thinking about former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle. There are actually Dan Quayle quote books because he was such a rich source of weird statements, like We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.

Ronald Reagan had some good quotes, though to be fair, Reagan was usually a witty guy. Robin Williams has a story though about Reagan making a crack about how nuclear weapons were no more dangerous than trees. A few weeks later Reagan was giving an outdoor speech on some university campus in California, and students strung banners across all the trees reading Stop Me Before I Kill Again.

And Bush, who is working hard to put food on his family - how do you even know where to begin with Bush?

And, although I'm kind of a Jimmy Carter fan (especially after he slammed Bush back in the spring), there's a funny Carter quote at the end of this post.


P.S. I've been trying to figure out why I feel like this is a non-story. I guess it is because the ice caps are melting and the species extinction rate is somewhere around 137 species per day, and therefore we have a problem right now, no matter which years in the last century were actually the hottest ones.

2 comments:

FixedXorBroken said...

You feel like it is a non story because it is.

The change was very small and makes no difference to any model / prediction.

Darren J said...

Even the guy who found the NASA error said it wasn't a significant one.

Check out the recent Daily Show clip of Bush and his "in other words". Hilarious.

I can't imagine listening to that guy talk for an hour. Especially if he didn't have a script.