Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Saturday Miscellany

So it's Saturday morning, and I've got my body so confused it's waking up by itself at 5:30a.m. Which leaves me lots of time to goof off on the net before I go to my weekend job in the beaches at 10:00.
So what do I do when I'm goofing off? I find cool stuff!!! : )

Here's a link to a BBC story about what the earth will be like when the peak oil crisis is in full gear:
BBC.
And here's a link to an urban activism blog out of the University of Winnipeg. This particular story talks about how the WTO is contemplating classifying (it's early in the morning and I'm practicing my alliteration) bikes as an "environmental good" which should be free from tariffs.
U. Winnipeg Blog.

And THIS one is about how wrecked the Tour De Franceis!!!
ESPN Tour de France
Besides Ullrich and Basso, VINO is OUTTT!!! For those of you who don't know pro-cycling, Vinokourov is like a pirate. It's like a game between the Leafs and the Habs where a guy with a patch on his eye skates onto the ice and starts swooping around stealing the puck and scoring on both teams. He's so cool and now he's gone. Me so sad.

And here's a link to You Tube and a Daily Show video where Jon Stewart interviews Al Gore regarding "An Inconvenient Truth." This is just part 1. If you go onto You Tube and search around you'll find a part 2 as well.



And here's the Staple Singers, just because they make me happy.


For those of you on ITUNES, download "I'll Take You There" and thank me later.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

So I stayed up till almost the time you woke up reading this blog. You and your cycling commitments amaze me. I just want to say thank you for trying to make the world a better place, lol.

And thank you for happening upon my blog and wondering what I was doing now, I updated, woo. And I'm going to try to update continuously. Maybe not daily, but weekly.

As for Dylan, he's amazing. Have you read Chronicles? Its beautiful. I have a couple of Bright Eyes albums, and I like them, but It doesn't really go beyond that. Though I do hate how everyone is always comparing new songwriters to Bob Dylan, I mean... just left them be themselves and see what they do. Quit looking for the next so and so. Josh Rouse is good as well, though I don't listen to him very often, when I do I wonder why I don't.

Happy late Canada to you as well. I hope it was a good one.

Mista Z said...

Hey man... saw yer post on my site.
Unfortunately I am not Mark Mruss's brother, but I have known him since we were quite young, hockey/ school, etc... and I was his best man at his and Danielle's wedding.

Thanks for checking out my blog... interestingly enough I went to buy "An Inconvienent Truth" the other day but the store was closed... was looking forward to some long weekend beach reading, ah well.

I see we are both into education, I start teaching this September in a Middle School ( 8 year olds dude...)- should be fun.

Take 'er easy,
Jimmy Z

Sallie said...

Hello there! It looks like you've been surfing around finding quite a few blogs and leaving comments, which is lovely! Thanks for the message - I have no idea where Omiya (I think that was the place name) is; I'm on Shikoku on top of a mountain! I am familiar with NOVA, though. My 2 years in Japan are almost at an end (weird) and your biking stories have inspired me, although not enough to attempt biking the commute to Teacher's College in the fall (about 50km). Good luck with it; and thank you for doing your part to make the world a slightly less polluted place!

Sallie

Tuco said...

Hey there Jimmy Z, I guess if I'd gone to Mark and Danielle's wedding we would have met then. Thanks for checking my site.
Melissa and Sallie, thanks for the "thank you's" (even though they're a tad embarassing!!)