Friday, March 02, 2007

Smarter than the average bear

So the Toronto Bike Show is tomorrow, which means that this cycling petition will be taken down pretty soon. I think it has done pretty well: the online version currently has about 3700 signatures and I think the paper version will have upwards of 1500 signatures by the time I send everything to Olivia Chow.

I've talked myself out of buying a cyclocross bike this weekend. After I give my brother my Dew Deluxe I'll still have three bikes (the beater, the all-rounder, the race bike) so I can't really justify "needing" a bike at the moment. Plus, I want to buy all that basic stuff that cyclists need for my brother - pump, locks, jacket, lights etc. I'm also looking forward to meeting a few people at the bike show who have been helping with the petition and who I so far only know through email.

The big news in Ontario right now is that our diabetes rate is going off the scale. I wonder if getting people onto bikes and promoting active transportation would help with this problem at all?

So the weather in the GTA has s.u.c.k.e.d recently, and I'm getting worked up about factory farms, and I need to remember to look on the bright side and think that spring is coming and that one of these jobs I've applied for will pan-out and I won't have to do marathon commutes to work anymore.

And just for the heck of it, here's that strange Samuel Jackson / Pulp Fiction / Chris Chelios film from a while back.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I don't know much about the cycling community in Nashville but I recently noticed a bike lane that I did not think was there a couple of months ago.