Monday, March 12, 2007

Treviso


Before I begin, anybody who wants to cross their fingers for me and say "good luck Tuco" I'd greatly appreciate it. I interviewed for a job this morning that I'd quite like to get. It would be in downtown Toronto and bring to a gradual close this 4 to 5 hours a day I spend commuting to and from Oshawa. I need the luck incidentally, I totally flubbed one question and spote "sotto voce" most of the time. What a dumbass.

Anyway, this is a picture of a Pinarello Treviso. My paternal grandfather came from the town of Treviso, just outside of Venice in northeastern Italy. So I'm pretty juiced that Pinarello is making a bike that I feel some connection with. For those of you who don't know - Pinarello is one of the sexiest of bike companies. Their bikes are ridden by the "Gods" of the cycling circuit. Most of us hackers just kind of drool over Pinarello bikes and don't remotely consider buying them.

The Treviso is kind of a strange flat bar road bike built for city riding. It retails for around $1200.00 American. As Bicycling magazine says "it has speedy, high-pressure 700c tires and road gearing, but offers a more upright position for those not wanting the aggressive hunch of a drop bar."

That's nice. But is Pinarello serious? Who's going to buy this thing? Roadies won't buy it because of the handlebars, and what city-rider is seriously going to spend $1200.00 on a city commuter that you could never ever ever ever ever ever ever leave locked up outside a grocery store? It'd get stolen faster than you could say "holy crap that guy is stealing my bike!"

(Don't get me wrong Pinarello - I want one. Send a size 54cm to me here in Toronto. Grazi.)

6 comments:

Nicholodeon said...

Very well done. Just blogging through. Wudda coulda shoulda...that's my theme song after an interview. You will do fine, and if you are meant to have the job, you will get it. Luck has nothing to do with it, just do the footwork. OR should that be 'just cycle'...

Ben said...

may those "Gods" smile on you, Tuco. Good luck with the job.

Melissa said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you because I really hope you get the job because you deserve it for sure.

cyclingdave said...

good luck!

Tuco said...

Thanks everyone. In hindsight though I'm having more and more "DOH!!!" moments, complete with a handslap to my forehead.
You win some you lose some.

Aldo said...

Hey man! That's cool! I'm not sure how I got linked up to your blog but I'm looking to get back into cycling. Where is your grandfather from exactly? My dad was born and raised in San Zenone, which is in that same general ballpark!
Aldo